Application Deadline: January 7th, 2019
The Hansen Summer Institute on Leadership and International Cooperation is an exciting international program funded by a generous grant from the Fred J. Hansen Foundation. Nine Hansen Summer Institutes took place in San Diego, California between 2007 and 2018. The Institute provides a unique University-based leadership experience and program in international cooperation. For three weeks, young American men and women joined students from a variety of developing countries and regions of social strife. Between then and now, Hansen Alumni have remained in contact via a variety of social networking sites and projects funded by the Hansen Foundation.
The Hansen Summer Institute on Leadership and International Cooperation, sponsored by the Fred J. Hansen Foundation, is an opportunity for international and U.S. students to build leadership skills and better cultural understanding to help form a more peaceful future. Fellows receive hands-on training in team-building, public speaking, negotiation, mediation and working together to solve international problems. Leadership training includes meeting with political and business leaders to learn real-world skills and how to implement these skills at home after the program. The program is located in San Diego, CA and open to international and U.S. undergraduate and master’s students aged 20-25.
ALL APPLICANTS: Successful applicants must demonstrate leadership potential by having worked outside of class in community service, another public service, or in a non-governmental organization. A letter of reference from such a group or organization is required.
NON – US STUDENTS
- Upper division undergraduate with 2 years of college/university or graduate student with a professional interest in international relations, diplomacy, international economic development or related fields.
- Students must be between the ages of 20- 25 on July 1, 2018.
- Must have demonstrated leadership potential outside of the classroom in the community, nation or region.
- Have an academic adviser verify in writing the candidates English proficiency. (A verification request is automatically sent to your referee with the request for your letter of reference.)
- Have a valid international passport with US visa if necessary by the time the program begins.
Preference may be given to students who have never been to the United States before but all qualified students are encouraged to apply.
The Hansen Summer Institute is fully funded by the Fred J. Hansen Foundation. This includes international airfare, room and board and all programmatic costs. If selected the only cost to participants will be the fees incurred in obtaining a passport, a U.S. visa and spending money.
For More Information: