Application Deadline Extended: June 15th 2018
The African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC), established in 2010, is a continental development program that promotes youth volunteerism in Africa. The program aims to deepen the status of young people as key actors in Africa’s development targets and goals, enhancing their participation in policy development as well as design and implementation of relevant interventions towards the Africa Union’s Agenda 2063, ‘The Africa we want’. It brings people together to share skills, knowledge, creativity and learning to build a more integrated, prosperous and peaceful Continent driven by its citizens. The volunteering opportunities are intended to build professionalism and a sense of responsibility among the participants, thus enhancing their employability.
Young African professionals are recruited to serve for a period of 12 months as AU Volunteers in an AU Member State other than their own. The next intake of volunteers for deployment in 2018 will be from the May 15th to May 31st 2018.
Applicants have to meet the following criteria:
1. Citizen of an AU Member State living on the continent or the Diaspora;
2. Aged between 18 – 35 years;
3. Have a post-secondary certified qualification(s) (TVET, Bachelor’s degree or equivalent)
4. Available in 2018 to dedicate 12 (twelve) months for volunteer work;
5. Willing to live and work in another AU Member State;
6. Is proficient in at least one AU working language (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese);
7. Has at least one year verifiable volunteering experience and one year professional work experience.
- Is change driven and has passion for development,
- Has great deal of leadership skills and can guide others,
- Remains productive under pressure and in challenging environments,
- Is flexible, independent, and has sense of humor,
- Self-motivated and has interest in volunteer work,
- Has absorptive capacity to learning on the job,
- Appreciates and respects other languages, cultures, religious and social norms,
- Has a great deal of social networking skills.
- The appointment will be made on a Short Term contract for a period of One (1) Year, of which the first three (3)
Typical Environment of Service
AU-YVC volunteer are deployed strictly in non for profit settings where their impact and contributions can fill the gap for much needed skilled man power. This would typically be:
Rural Community Schools
Hospitals and Health Centers
Post Conflict Setting
Government Offices/ Ministries
How It Works
– Aspiring volunteers who fulfill all requirements should fill out the online application form and upload their CV.
– Organizations wishing to deploy youth volunteers are required to fill out the online request form . Alternatively, organizations can send their request to firstname.lastname@example.org
– Screening: Volunteer Applications and Volunteer Requests would now be screened for completeness through a vigorous and transparent process. Candidates whose application was not convincing, would be eliminated and notified. Volunteers are permitted to reapply a second time.
– Matching: Applications of nominated volunteer candidates are matched with available vacancies according to the criteria specified by the requesting organization.
– Selection: The AU-YVC would send multiple CVs (4-8) of matched volunteers to requesting organization to make final selection.
– Volunteer Training: Prior to their deployment volunteers would be trained for a period of 2 to 3 weeks by the AU-YVC unit to enhance volunteers professional, interpersonal and life skills. The training aims to prepare volunteers for their country of deployment and/or enhance their capacity.
– Deployment: selected volunteers would now sign a tri-partite agreement with their host organization and the AUC which shall guide the terms of deployment.
– Progress Assessment: volunteers are expected to provide regular reports on their activities and address challenges to the AU-YVC unit.
For More Information: