Maombi Tarehe ya mwisho: 6 Desemba 2018.
The Olusegun Obasanjo Prize for Scientific Discovery and/or Technological Innovation is intended to reward and honor African scientists who have made outstanding contributions in scientific discovery or technological innovation. The Prize has been named in honor of the former President of Nigeria, H.E. Chief Olusegun Obasanjo in recognition of his exemplary statesmanship and leadership at the national, regional and international levels and his contributions to political well-being, socio-economic development and the positive role he has played in nurturing the spirit of scientific discovery and technological innovation in the African continent. Among Chief Obasanjo’s towering achievements are:
- President of Nigeria from May 1999 to May 2007;
- Chairman of the African Leadership Forum;
- Patronage of The AAS through an endowment fund of caUS$5 Million.
Chief Obasanjo is also a member of the Africa Progress Panel (APP), an independent authority on Africa launched in April 2007 to focus world leadersXCHARX attention on delivering their commitments to the continent, and also serves as the special envoy of the United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon to Democratic Republic of the Congo.
H.E. Olusegun Obasanjo was a personal friend of the founding president of The African Academy of Science, the late Professor Thomas R. Odhiambo, and a pioneer patron whose government made considerable contribution to the Endowment Fund of The African Academy of Sciences. In recognition of the foregoing, and in order to nurture the spirit of scientific discovery and technological innovation that would serve socio-economic development, the General Assembly of The AAS upon recommendation by its Governing Council has instituted this pan-African Olusegun Obasanjo prize for scientific discovery and/or technological innovation. The aim of this prize is to reward and honor African technological scientists and innovators who have made outstanding contributions either from Africa or from the Diaspora.
The AAS seeks to promote and foster growth of a vibrant African scientific community, and to stimulate and nurture the spirit of scientific discovery and technological innovation that would serve socio-economic development in Africa. The Chief Obasanjo Prize will be awarded to each of the following fields:
3. Information and communication technologies, and
4. Material sciences.
Conditions Governing the Prize
The Olusegun Obasanjo Prize for scientific discovery and/or technological innovation is awarded once every two years to individual scientists or a group of scientists that the Prize Selection Committee deems to have made outstanding scientific discovery or technological innovation that generate social and economic benefits for the development of the continent. Such breakthroughs may be based on advanced research in higher educational or research institutions or based on empirical observations derived from indigenous and local knowledge systems.
The responsibility for selecting the laureate of the Olusegun Obasanjo Prize lies with the International Prize Committee which applies a comprehensive selection procedure to ensure that those who are awarded the Olusegun Obasanjo Prize meet the highest standards of scientific or technological breakthroughs. Such breakthroughs should have either direct or indirect, but significant positive impact on sustainable development, including management of natural resources, and protection of the environment with national or regional significance.
A major criterion of the International Prize Committee is that the nominee(s) is (are) evaluated on his/her (their) merit and achievement. The other criteria are as follows:
- The nominee(s) should be actively involved in the scientific or technological area in which s/he has made noticeable contribution;
- The nominee’s works should be either already patented or has the potential to lead to a patent
- The nominee’s work should have multiplier effect.
Value of the Prize
The Prize, which shall be awarded every two years, has three components:
1. Cash award of US$5,000 but this may periodically be reviewed and adjusted by the Governing Council (GC) of The AAS;
2. Gold Medal inscribed; and a
3. Citation – in a form of certificate.
The Prize may be awarded to an individual or jointly to two or more persons who will share the cash award in equal amounts.
The Prize is open to all African scientists and technologists and does not recognize gender, ethnic, or geographical differences. National scientists and Fellows in the employment of or who serve as senior advisors to The AAS are not eligible for nomination. Similarly, the award may not be made to any person who is a current member of the Governing Organ of The AAS. Similarly, the award may not be made to any person who is a current member of the Governing Organ of The AAS.
The GC of The AAS shall appoint every two years, a Prize Selection Committee of up to five experts (in the field of technological/engineering sciences, intellectual property, etc), with The AAS President as its inaugural Chairman of the Committee.
The Selection Committee reserves the right to seek further nominations or to refuse the nomination of any person. All material considered by Committee and their deliberations remain strictly confidential.
All decisions taken and recommendations made by the Prize Selection Committee are binding and final, and no correspondence will be entered into in regard to such matters. No contractual or other legal relationship shall arise between the Committee, its members or/and any person nominated for the Olusegun Obasanjo Prize for scientific discovery and/or technological innovation.
Nominations are to be submitted on the AAS Ishango Online System. Self nominations will be accepted. Please follow the instructions below.
- Fuata kiungo hiki ili ufikie kwenye mfumo wa AAS Ishango Online: https://aasishango.ccgranttracker.com/
- Jisajili kama mtumiaji mpya kama hujatumia mfumo kabla. If you have used the system before please proceed to step iv.
- The system will email you a temporary password.
- Fuata kiungo https://aasishango.ccgranttracker.com/ tena kufikia mfumo
- Kwenda mtumiaji aliyepo and log in with your password (first time users will be requested to replace their temporary password with one of their choice).
- Mara baada ya kuingia kwenda programu mpya ya ruzuku na bofya hapa
- Kuchagua The Olusegun Obasanjo Prize for Scientific and Technological Innovation na bonyeza tumia to begin filling in the online form.
- Once you have provided al the required information, please kuhalalisha na kuwasilisha fomu.
Please contact Olivia Osula at email@example.com if you need any clarification.
Kwa Taarifa Zaidi: