Maombi Tarehe ya mwisho: Monday, April 29 at 5:00 pm PST.
Facebook is calling for proposals for pilot and early-stage research that extends computer vision technologies in developing countries1. Facebook specifically seek projects that address the technical challenges impeding computer vision in these contexts, including data and hardware limitations and better integration of new information sources, such as high-resolution satellite imagery.
Competitive applications will similarly leverage computer vision to achieve global development priorities, especially those captured in the United Nations Malengo ya Maendeleo ya endelevu. Illustrative computer vision applications for delivering this type of social impact include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Agricultural extension: better informing smallholders about crop health, pest control, livestock illnesses, or soil fertility
- Health services: improving diagnosis, dietary, water or sanitation assessments
- Education quality: tools to enhance access to information without requiring high levels of literacy or language skills
- Infrastructure and sustainable industry: improving factory machinery or training to increase safety, jobs or output. Transportation innovations for environmental and human benefit.
- Disaster relief and climate action: visual information for first-responders to fires, floods or other natural disasters. Technologies to manage or mitigate environmental change.
Facebook aims to support projects that align with our mission, past research, open source tools and state-of-the-art algorithms. Awards will be made in amounts ranging from $20,000 to $40,000 for projects up to 6 months in duration.
We encourage proposals from teams that include institutions, researchers and non-profits in developing regions.
1 For the purposes of this RFP, we define “developing countries” as the low and middle-income economies designated by the World Bank.
Mapendekezo yanapaswa kujumuisha
- Muhtasari wa mradi huo (1-2 pages) explaining the area of focus, conceptual and methodological distinction between the pilot study and any future follow-on studies, a description of techniques, the research’s applicability to Facebook, a timeline with milestones and expected outcomes
- A budget description (Ukurasa wa 1) ikiwa ni pamoja na gharama ya takriban ya tuzo na maelezo ya jinsi fedha zitatumika
- Mtaala for all key project participants
- Organization details; this will include tax information and administrative contact details
This opportunity is open to applicants worldwide from academic and/or research institutions that are eligible for research funding. This includes individual researchers addressing a well-defined problem, or multiple university departments. We encourage emerging scholars to apply.
Additional provisions are listed below.
- Awards must comply with applicable US and international laws, regulations and policies
- Applicants must be the Principal Investigator on any resulting award
- Applicants may submit one proposal per solicitation
- Organizations must be a nonprofit or non-governmental organization with recognized legal status in their respective country (equal to 501(c)(3) status under the United States Internal Revenue Code).
Muda na tarehe
- Applications are now open. Deadline to apply is Monday, April 29 at 5:00 pm PST.
- Notifications will be sent by email to applicants in June and the award winners will be announced during the Computer Vision for Global Challenges Warsha saa CVPR ‘19.
Maelezo ya ziada
This RFP is launched in conjunction with Computer Vision for Global Challenges (CV4GC), a multi-stakeholder initiative to bring the computer vision community closer to socially impactful tasks, datasets and applications. CV4GC will convene a workshop at 2019 Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition to be held in Long Beach, California June 16–21. Successful applicants may be invited to join this workshop and present their projects; however, proposals do not need to include conference travel costs.
For additional questions related to this RFP, please email Andrew Westbury at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kwa Taarifa Zaidi: