Application Deadline: October 12, 2018 at 23.59 PST.
In July, Google alitangaza the steps we’re taking as part of the Mpango wa Google News to support the future of news in online video and our efforts to improve the news experience on YouTube. This included a $25M investment across the following three areas:
- News working group to collaborate with partners to help us develop new product features and improve the news experience on YouTube
- Innovation funding to provide capacity-building grants to news publishers
- Expanded support team for news partners around the world
Through this program, we will provide selected news organizations around the world with grants to support building stronger video capabilities and innovating with video formats.
Best practices gained from this program will be shared publicly, providing all newsrooms the opportunity to learn and apply insights as we work together to support the development of long-term, sustainable video businesses.
- Eligible projects must come from publishers, broadcasters, agencies, video creators and production companies that aim to produce news content that is factual, informative, and trustworthy. Collaborations amongst applicants are welcome.
- Eligible projects must demonstrate a scrupulous approach to journalistic practices including but not limited to news-gathering, fact checking, objectivity, balance and ethics.
- Eligible projects must focus on building capabilities to create video programming focused on topical news, current affairs and politics in formats that follow YouTube best practices and/or demonstrate a strategy to develop new formats to grow an engaged audience.
- Eligible applicants must demonstrate at least a basic level of video production and operations expertise and manage at least one YouTube channel with a minimum of 50,000 subscribers.
Google will accept applications from organizations headquartered in Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Greater China, Finland, France, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Nigeria, Norway, Philippines, Poland, United Kingdom, United States, Afrika Kusini, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Vietnam
Grant size will vary based on the application details and may be valued up to approximately $250,000 USD. As the application process moves forward, we will work with you to determine the appropriate grant size based on the proposal.
Grants may be valued up to approximately $300K but your application is not required to meet that amount. Google will retain the right to reduce the grant size based on scrutiny of the application.
Vigezo vya Uchaguzi: Eligible projects will be evaluated primarily against the following criteria:
- Innovation: Preferred projects will demonstrate an innovative component and involve or promote the production of original journalism.
- Ustawi: Preferred projects will demonstrate a plan for long term sustainability.
Application process and timing
Please submit your application via fomu hii.
Application deadline is October 12, 2018 at 23.59 PST. No applications will be accepted after this date.
If you need additional information, please contact at email@example.com.
Successful applicants will be notified by December 1, 2018.
Kwa Taarifa Zaidi: