Application Deadline: September 22nd 2014
The South African History Archive is looking for a dedicated and dynamic individual interested in learning more about building a career in human rights advocacy to join its Freedom of Information Programme (FOIP) for a 6-month internship starting from November 2014.
All SAHA internships are based at the SAHA offices at Constitution Hill in Johannesburg. The intern will be expected to work on a full-time basis for at least 6 months (up to a maximum of 12 months) and will receive a modest monthly stipend for the duration of the internship. FOIP interns report to the FOIP Training and Community Liaison Officer. Preference will be given to recent graduates who have never been in full-time employment.
In the course of the internship, interns are expected to support the work of the FOIP team through:
- Submitting and tracking requests made of public and private bodies under PAIA
- Assisting in the delivery of SAHA’s PAIA training to NGOs and CBOs
- Tracking legislative development and jurisprudence that have implications for the constitutional right of access to information
- Conducting research, as directed, into national and regional use of access to information legislation, as directed
Skills and qualifications
- Degree in law, political science, public administration, journalism or other relevant field.
- Demonstrable commitment to social justice
- Ability to plan, prioritize work, and meet deadlines
- Ability to show initiative within a collaborative working environment
- Good attention to detail
- Strong written communication skills
- Competency with Microsoft Office software
Closing date: Monday 22 September by 4pm.
Interview date: Monday 29 September 2014
Starting date: As soon as possible, but preferably no later than 3 November 2014 (
How to Apply
Please prepare a one-page letter of motivation (no more than 500 words) that addresses the following three questions:
- What is the purpose of Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000 (PAIA)?
- What were the motivating factors behind the development of PAIA?
- Provide an example of how you think PAIA could be used to support struggles for justice in South Africa?
Submit this letter of motivation with your CV (no longer than 2 pages) and the contact details for at least 2 professional referees by email to email@example.com.