Application Deadline: 9 November 2018, 24.00 CET.
The Swiss Re Foundation Entrepreneurs for Resilience Award recognises entrepreneurial initiatives that take innovative approaches to building resilient societies and realising the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. While resilience is the core theme of this annual programme, its specific focus changes from year to year.
The 2019 award will focus on innovative solutions that offer more and better access to healthcare for households in low-income communities. We’re looking for business-minded organisations that leverage technology to successfully tackle the behavioural, knowledge, infrastructure, financial and/or other barriers to such households’ access to healthcare solutions – from prevention to treatment.
- The award comprises a financial grant from the Swiss Re Foundation and, depending on the nature, scope and needs of the enterprise, non-financial contributions such as coaching and technical advice from Swiss Re employees and experts.
- Three finalists pitch their ventures face-to-face to an independent award jury of senior Swiss Re experts, academic representatives and selected Swiss Re clients.
- The total prize money of USD 700 000 is divided among the winner (which receives up to USD 350 000) and the two runners-up.
- Level of maturity:
Are established as formal start-ups, growing and on a clear path to full or partial financial sustainability (eg if only some operations are commercially based) but still dependent on grants (or other support) to improve their business model and/or reach full financial sustainability
- Innovation and technology focus:
Leverage technology or an innovation in product or service delivery to deliver value to underserved populations at scale.
- Mission and purpose:
Have a strong social purpose while using commercial mechanisms to achieve sustainability and scale.
- Target group:
Serve moderately to very poor communities in rural and/or urban areas. Poor and vulnerable populations should be a clear focus and priority and/or represent more than 30% of people served. Candidates should have a deep understanding of their end users’ specific circumstances and address barriers to healthcare that they face.
Ideally, operate in low-income communities with limited/no access to quality healthcare.
The selection process starts with an online form. As and when candidates “make the cut” at each stage of selection, we’ll ask them to provide more information and address increasingly detailed enquiries about their enterprises. Candidates should have the following team members available to participate at the following stages:
- the founder(s), for a one- to two-hour interview between mid-December 2018 and end of January 2019 (top 12 candidates)
- the management, to receive representatives of the Swiss Re Foundation for one to two days of on-site due diligence between mid-February and early April 2019 (top 6 candidates)
- at least one founder, for coaching sessions between mid-April and mid-May 2019 to prepare a pitch for the face-to-face event and award ceremony (3 finalists)
- the team, to collaborate with the Swiss Re Foundation on preparing a brief video about the enterprise in the second half of April 2019 (3 finalists); the video must be ready no later than three weeks before the award ceremony
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for the 2019 Entrepreneurs for Resilience Award, complete the online questionnaire about your enterprise by 9 November 2018, 24.00 CET. Only applications completed in English and submitted by this deadline will be considered.
If you have questions or need guidance, you’re welcome to contact us at email@example.com.
For More Information: